FAD DIET # 1 – THE KETOGENIC DIET XXXXX
– High Fat – low carb – moderate protein.
So by restricting carbs your body will eventually reach a state of ketosis – a metabolic state where by it burns fat for energy – Ketosis can only occur when carbs are kept very low (30-40g)per day.
Is this good for you- NO!!! your brain needs sugar- carbs are needed for glucose to enter the bloodstream- If there is no Glucose your Cognitive function takes a massive hit, this will effect your work, social life and gym sessions. You will feel very Sluggish, weak, irritable, constipated I could go on!!
All sounds very nice doesn’t it!! Don’t get me wrong there are benefits to going Keto-
– It strips body fat
– Uses body fat for fuel
– Reduces inflammation
– Regulates metabolism
– In short you can loose a lot of weight FAST
But is it maintainable??absolutely not – unless you are looking to go Keto for the rest of your life(which I certainly wouldn’t recommend- DO NOT START! After gaining quick results you will most likely end up plateauing and feel worse.
Instead eat foods that spoil, aim for at least 10,000 steps per day, get to the gym, walk your dog and the rest will fall in to place.
FAD DIET NO 2 coming soon!!
Diets XXXXX- A word that is banned in my house!! here are a few reasons why.
1. Diets don’t work…FACT- it doesn’t matter what the diet is- yes you can loose some weight in a short amount of time but the majority of people will put the weight back on and usually a little extra on top.
2. Dieting makes food the centre of your universe- if you’re going for dinner with your friends you should be thinking about seeing your friends not tossing up in your head wether you can have a dessert but only if you skip the starter and you can’t have any carbs with your main and sally is so lucky i bet she has starter, main and dessert and it never shows! When you’re on your way to work you should be thinking about how you’re going to smash the day not worrying about how many carrot sticks you have in your lunch box and that your lunch weighed 20 grams more than it was meant to. When you’re going on holiday you should be thinking about all the fun your going to have and relaxing your body and mind for the short time your away, instead your stressing that you can’t fit all your supplements in your baggage and calling the hotel to make sure they have diet soda behind the bar. With all that focus on food there is no wonder it becomes so much harder to handle. Food shouldn’t be the best thing or the worst thing and certainly not the most important thing.
3. Diets end up measuring your life, worth and health in weight- just because you’re not exactly where you want to be does not mean you can’t have a life. If you haven’t lost the 6 pounds you aimed too does that mean you can’t go to a party with your friends?? Should you feel unworthy?? are you only going to have a smile on your face when the scales say you can??
4. Dieting is bad for your physical and mental health- weight fluctuation brings a host of related side effects that can harm your physical health, not surprisingly it has been linked to an increased risk of cardiovascular disease/type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure. The psychological impact is equally alarming. Dieters are prone to elevated cortisol levels (the stress hormone)- studies have shown that increased stress during dieting can trigger binge eating.
So why do people do it??
– Lack of education on the correct things to eat?
– Promises of a quick fix without having to exercise?
– Busy lives?
Over the next few months i will be posting about all the fad diets out there and why to avoid them. I will also be posting about foods that you should be including in your meals and the benefits of having a good relationship with food and living a balanced life with NO restrictions.