Losing Weight the Right Way: Our Top Tips
With the New Year just around the corner, many of you will be setting weight loss or health and fitness goals to hit in 2020, probably like you did last year? So this year why not do it the right way and make those small, long-lasting changes to make the results stick? It’s easier than you think!
Here are some of our top tips to set yourself up for success, whatever your goal is in 2020:
- Make a plan and set your goal. Then make sure it is measurable and achievable.
- Get some help in areas you need help in. If you have no idea what exercises you can do to help reach your goal then get some professional advice. Equally, if you are already active but don’t have time to cook then find a meal service that works for you.
- Enjoy the activity/ exercise/ food you are eating to reach your goal. Don’t go and slog it out on a treadmill 5 times a week if you hate it, there are so many different ways to exercise now. Find one that works for you.
- Same for eating! Food is to be enjoyed even when you are trying to lose weight. You don’t have to eat plain, boring food that you don’t look forward to.
- Stay hydrated! This cannot be underestimated.
- Don’t starve yourself! This will make you low on energy and likely put you in a low mood too. Eat the right amount of food to fuel your body for the day and the new exercise you are putting your body through.
- If you choose to use a healthy prepared meal delivery service then there are some things you can learn. The biggest thing you should take away from it is portion size! So many of us overeat, how many times have you made pasta at home and just free poured the pasta into the water, mixed with a sauce and then eaten it all? 75 grams of pasta is a typical portion size for weight loss.
- Accept that your goal will take some time to achieve. Try to implement small and long-lasting changes so that you create good, new habits. This will help you keep your hard-earned results in the longer term.
- Enjoy the process. It can be tough to make changes to your health and fitness. There will be times when it is hard but this is when you need to remember why you started in the first place. It is getting through the hard parts where we grow and form new habits.
- Having a support network can be such a great way to help you succeed and keep you accountable through the process. Set a goal with a friend or family member, it’s always better to suffer together..lol!
- Time – it can be hard to find the time for regular exercise between work, family and friends. Plan the time you have wisely and prioritise some time for exercise. Fitness classes are a good way of fitting things in when you are busy. There are so many group classes now from Spinning, Zumba to Saturday Morning Park runs. Find what you like and enjoy it.
- Get the right amount of sleep. We are discovering more and more about the importance of sleep and how a lack of sleep impacts our health. I highly recommend ‘Why We Sleep’ by Matthew Walker.
At fitchef we are all about a healthy, active lifestyle where we promote eating great tasting food not restrictive dieting for 12 weeks then going right back to what you were doing before. Take a longer-term view and make 2020 be the year you knock dieting on the head for good. Long term health and an active lifestyle are so much better for our minds and bodies.
Happy New Year from Team fitchef
Roast Halibut with Chimmichurri Butter, Crushed New Potatoes and Garlicky Greens
A Simple Good Friday Fish Recipe Roast Halibut with Chimmichurri Butter, Crushed New Potatoes and Garlicky Greens If you are looking for a simple, healthy and delicious fish recipe to impress your family on Good Friday, then give this Halibut recipe a try! Halibut is high in protein, contains those heart healthy Omega 3s and […]
Pork & Nduja Ragu with Rigatoni and Burrata
At fitchef we are all about great tasting, healthy food and this super simple pasta recipe is definitely one that hits the spot. It’s great for an easy, but also luxury, weekend dinner! The Nduja is a soft, spicy Italian salami that gives a really tasty depth of flavour to a meal. If you want […]
Miso & Ginger Chicken Ramen with Shichimi Pepper
Ramen is a trendy Japanese dish, with many new restaurants popping up in parts of the country serving their take on the Japanese classic. I love this trend and enjoy making my own variations at home. Ramen can be a really warming and comforting dish. Also, because it’s easily customisable, you can make it as […]