The importance of goal setting
Setting a goal gives you something concrete to work towards in life. Everyone will set different goals for their own individual reasons; whether you’re aiming for a promotion at work, want to lose/gain weight or to travel the world.
First of all, you need to decide why you’re doing it. If you have a clear idea of why you’ve set your goal then you can come back to this at any moment that your restraint is wavering.
I recently did a 12-week weight loss plan because I wanted to try and show people it is possible to eat great tasting food with minimal restriction and still get great results. I will be sharing my results and tips about my 12-week programme in the near future to try and help others to achieve similar goals.
During the 12 weeks, I didn’t eat plain, boring food or starve myself to get the results as this wouldn’t be a sustainable or enjoyable approach. I ate food that I would enjoy, that had the right amount of calories to help me achieve my goal.
Here are some ideas to help you set and reach your goals:
- Set your goal. Make sure it’s achievable and realistic.
- Plan out how you are going to achieve your goal. Ask for help in areas where your confidence is lacking and set small achievable goals.
- Don’t feel like you have to rush. Anything worth doing will take time. You could set a target date but this may change and that’s ok.
- Avoid areas that will affect your progress. This is anything that will tempt you to go off track or make you forget why you started in the first place, this includes people! Surround yourself with people that are supportive of what you are doing and will help you along the way.
- Make yourself accountable. Tell people what you’re doing and why you’re doing it. When people know about your goal it is a lot harder to just stop because you’re having a bad day. Having a network of supportive people can be invaluable, especially when things get tough. It’s great to be able to have people to share both the good and the bad things with.
- Remember why you started. There will be many occasions where you think about giving up for one reason or another. Having a clear and strong sense of why could be the difference between achieving your goal or not. There will be bumps along the way where you may give in to cravings or face a setback but this doesn’t mean you have failed. Don’t dwell on this, draw a line under it and keep going! Don’t give yourself an excuse to self-destruct.
Follow these steps and anything is achievable. You just have to want it enough and go for it. If you get 2 days in and want to give up then the reasoning behind it might be strong enough. You may want to reassess the goal and find a way of plotting your way to achieving it.
Are you ready to take the next step towards a healthier lifestyle? At fitchef, we offer a delicious healthy meal prep delivery service that can support you in your health or lifestyle goals. Check out one of our tailor-made diet plan meal packages to suit your goal or ‘create your own’ meals from our bespoke meal prep menu.
Roast Halibut with Chimmichurri Butter, Crushed New Potatoes and Garlicky Greens
A Simple Good Friday Fish Recipe Roast Halibut with Chimmichurri Butter, Crushed New Potatoes and Garlicky Greens If you are looking for a simple, healthy and delicious fish recipe to impress your family on Good Friday, then give this Halibut recipe a try! Halibut is high in protein, contains those heart healthy Omega 3s and […]
Pork & Nduja Ragu with Rigatoni and Burrata
At fitchef we are all about great tasting, healthy food and this super simple pasta recipe is definitely one that hits the spot. It’s great for an easy, but also luxury, weekend dinner! The Nduja is a soft, spicy Italian salami that gives a really tasty depth of flavour to a meal. If you want […]
Miso & Ginger Chicken Ramen with Shichimi Pepper
Ramen is a trendy Japanese dish, with many new restaurants popping up in parts of the country serving their take on the Japanese classic. I love this trend and enjoy making my own variations at home. Ramen can be a really warming and comforting dish. Also, because it’s easily customisable, you can make it as […]